1. You're Still Buying THAT Detergent?!
Instead switch from that ridiculous expensive and over-hyped "T" brand and go with a store brand or an "off brand". Unlike the items I mentioned above these are all still real soap and will still clean your clothes just as well as the expensive popular brands.
My kids have dry skin issues which means that we have to use free and clear detergent. We use Sun brand which costs us $5 for 96 loads and keeps our clothes just as clean and bright as other brands. If you are a new parent with a kid with skin issues everyone is going to try to push you to buy the "D" brand which is about $100 a cup. I would strongly suggest trying another free and clear brand before you take this expensive and usually unnecessary step.
2. Time For a New Washing Machine
3. Wash Smart
Next, always wash your clothes in cold water if that is an option. Many people think that clothes washing is the same as hand washing or dish washing, but the truth is that clothes mostly get cleaned trough the agitation of the washer, not the heat of the water. In the same vein, if your clothes aren't super dirty you can totally run them on the shortest wash cycle to save energy and they will still get just as clean.
4. Dry Smarter
If you do choose to use the dryer make sure that it is lint free from the lint trap all the way through the vent. This will make sure your dryer is working at its best and save energy.
If you have the time you can pull some clothes out and iron them to finish the drying process you can save yourself some green and have perfectly ironed clothes to put up in your closet.
5. A Few More Tips
- A DIY dryer sheet can be made by soaking a wash cloth in dollar store softener then letting it dry.
- Throwing some vinegar in with the laundry will soften up your clothes without the need for a skin irritating scent.
- Baking soda can be tossed in the wash to help battle odors.
- If your washing machine allows it use cool water as a compromise between hot and cold.
- Try to do as much laundry as you can back to back, this will eliminate the need for the machines to work harder than they need to to get started.